The Best Summer Fruit Pie
Every summer, my extended family gathers for a reunion. Each family will make dinner one night, and so, over the years, we have come to know each group’s favorite meals: one of my mom’s sisters makes the best pesto ever, another always has a cook-out, we make our favorite farmers’ market meal, and my mom’s last sister makes the most incredible summer fruit pie in the whole world – something to look forward to each year, for sure. This pie is incredible in August and September when certain fruits are in season and you can get them locally at your farmers’ market. Just this past weekend, we had it with fresh, local blueberries – heavenly. Another favorite is peach-strawberry. Yum!!
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flower (brown rice flower or other gluten-free flower can be substituted)
1 stick butter
Enough fresh fruit to fill a pie pan
2 cups fruit
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup water
whipped cream to top
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Put the sugar, flour, and pecans in the food processor and mix until fully blended. Add the butter and mix until you have a dough-like consistency.
3. Press the crust into the pan and cook for 10 minutes in the pre-heating oven.
4. Fill the pie pan with fresh fruit.
5. To make the glaze, put 2 cups of fruit, 1/2 cup sugar, and the cornstarch mixture into a saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring until the cornstarch loses color and the mixture thickens.
6. Pour the glaze over the fresh fruit in the pie pan, then let cool. Add whipped cream to cover the pie before serving!