The Best Blogs on How to Help the Gulf
At first it was easy to think that the oil spill would be handled by experts, that they would stop the oil leak as well as clean up the water and try to save wildlife. As the weeks march on it becomes clear that the catastrophe has no simple solution and that the experts are failing.
As the disaster continues, there emerge ways that regular people can help at a grass roots level. At least taking some action can allay some of the grief and horror. If adopting a brown pelican will fund someone to save one, then money given for that would be well spent. If supporting organizations that train volunteers to skim oil will reduce the oil, that too is money well spent.
We surfed around the Internet and found the top baker’s dozen of best blogs offering ideas for doing something for the Gulf oil disaster. Some are political, some are for volunteers, and others are causes to support.
1. Grist Magazine; Ask Umbra – Eight Things You Can Do
2. Yes! Magazine – Six Things To Do About the Gulf Disaster
3. The Daily Green – The Gulf Oil Spill – 7 Ways to Help
4. NRDC; This Green Life – 8 Steps to Help the Gulf
5. HuffingtonPost – Gulf of Mexico Crisis – Ways to Support Wildlife
6. University of Florida Extension – How to Volunteer
7. EPA – What You Can Do, How to Volunteer
8. CNN – How to Help Gulf Oil Disaster Even If You Can’t Make it There
9. MSNBC – How to Help (volunteer organizations)
10. Elephant Journal - 5 Yogic Things You Can Do
11. Renewable Energy World – Commentaries (scroll down for what you can do)
12. Gulf Coast Oil Spill Fund – Have a Fundraiser
13. Greenpeace – Volunteer Info