No-Grain Muffins with Orange Zest
Dr. Joseph Mercola says that grains and carbohydrates make you fat, and in his book The No-Grain Diet, he offers ways to conquer cravings by eliminating grains. Here is provides “muffin” in all but the grain part, and so this might be the ticket for those of you who would like to reduce your carbohydrate intake at breakfast but don’t feel satisfied without a muffin or piece of toast.
1 cup flaxseeds, ground
1/2 cup walnuts, ground
3/4 cup protein powder (such as hemp seed)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup organic zucchini, peeled and grated
2/3 cup ricotta cheese (or Greek yogurt)
grated zest of one orange
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Oil muffin tins with coconut oil.
2. Grind flaxseed and walnuts in a food processor or nut grinder.
3. In a small bowl, mix flaxseeds, walnuts, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
4. In a larger bowl, mix oil (melt the coconut oil so that it is liquid), eggs, vanilla, grated zucchini, yogurt, and orange zest.
5. Fold dry ingredients into liquid ingredients. Fold in chopped walnuts.
6. Pour into muffin tins and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Let us know any variations you have tried in the quest of no-grain bread that satisfies!
–Adapted from The No-Grain Diet, by Dr. Joseph Mercola (2003).