Curried Millet-Spinach Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 gloves garlic, minced
6 cups water
3/4 cup raw millet, rinsed
2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
One 16-ounce can salt-free diced tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
One 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to saute until both are golden.
2. Add the water, millet, potatoes, carrot, tomatoes, ginger, curry powder, and cinnamon. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, or until the millet and vegetables are tender. Stir every 15 minutes or so.
3. Stir in the spinach, parsley, and lemon juice. If the soup is too thick, add a bit more water. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over very low heat for another 10 to 15 minutes, then serve.
4. This soup thickens as it stands, especially after refrigeration. Adjust the consistency with water as needed, the adjust the seasoning.
5. Per serving: Calories: 158; Total fat: 4 g; Protein: 5 g; Fiber: 4 g; Carbohydrate: 27 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 50 mg
—Adapted from Vegan, Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons, by Nava Atlas, the author of Vegan Express.